Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Theater of Broken Dreams.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

Theater of Broken Dreams.

Thomas begrudgingly took his earbuds out as he leaned towards the driver seat.

"What?" he asked, still half-asleep.

"I was just telling Ma' why you couldn't have just went to fucking UConn kid," Johnny answered as he threw his hands up in defeat, "We would have been there like thirteen hours ago dude,"

"He doesn't want to be near his mother," Sarah chuckled.

"I didn't ask you to guys to drive, okay?" Thomas started to get defensive, "Coach could have just paid for my plane ticket,"

"Isn't that against the rule?" Bobby's frail voice came from the backseat.

"Go back to sleep Bobby," Johnny teased, "This is big people talk,"

"Shut up," Bobby replied before, ironically, going back to sleep.

"I'm just saying," Sarah sighed, "It wouldn't be the worst thing in the world if you weren't half way across the world. We gotta drive fourteen hours just to see you?"

"You don't have to," Thomas tried to reasoned, "Like I said, I was fine with just taking a plane and shipping my stuff later."

"So ungrateful," Sarah sucked her teeth, "Just like your fucking father,"

Thomas shook his head and opened his mouth to reply but decided against it as he sunk back into his seat. He looked out at the window and a smile crept up on his face as they passed the first sign that read 'UNIVERSITY OF LOUISVILLE 5 MI'. He thought back to his first visit to Louisville and how he knew it was the right school for him. Sure, there were nicer campus but Louisville made him feel special in more ways than just one. He laughed to himself as he thought about Traci and Ronda amongst the bevy of girls that made his official visit that much more fun.

"About fucking time," Johnny muttered as they pulled up to the parking lot facing the athletic dorms, "These girls sure look great,"

"You're almost fucking thirty Johnny," Sarah groaned.

"Sorry Ma," Johnny whispered just loud enough for Bobby to get a snicker out of it.

Happy to no longer be trapped with 'them' inside of a car for another second, Thomas quickly stepped out of the car and stretched his legs. His six-foot-six frame didn't accommodate well with cars, yet alone being inside one for over fourteen hours. He looked around the campus and saw all the fresh faces excited for their first summer at college. Thomas and his family had visited the campus so many times that he felt like he had already attended the school for a few semesters as they casually took his stuff out of the car and the four of them made their way to his assigned dorm.

"Text your coach," his mother instructed him as they approached the front desk located in the downstairs lobby of the dorm.

Just as Thomas pulled out his phone, he realized that he had missed quite a few calls on the trip and a few texts, most of them coming from members of the coaching staff and a few fellow freshmen teammates.

"Hello?"

"Yeah coach, it's Tommy."

"Oh, Tommy! Are you on campus yet buddy?"

"I'm about to get my dorm keys right now," Thomas responded as he flashed his ID card to the lady behind the desk.

"Sounds great, talk to me when you're situated and I'll let you know what's happening."

As soon as Thomas placed his phone away, he heard a familiar and reassuring voice coming from the staircase.

"Tommy boy!"

Before Thomas could turn around and face the voice, he was soon bear hugged from the back and received a series of slaps to the back of the neck.

"Fucking prick," he whispered as he fought them off.

"How are you doing today, Mrs. Shelby?" Donovan said as he went from a playful dick to the most well mannered son-of-a-bitch within a matter of seconds, "Johnny, my man Bobby!"

"We're just tired sweetheart," Sarah responded.

"We've been waiting for you all day mate," Deng said as he greeted Thomas in a more proper manner.

Donovan and Thomas had known each other for years through the AAU circuit and had long been competing for the title of the best high school player in the New England area so it made sense that two long time competitors eventually turned into teammates as Donovan committed to Louisville just hours after Thomas' verbal commitment.

"Why don't y'all go get something to eat, sit down for a bit and me and my man Deng here gonna take care of our boy Tommy?" Donovan suggested as he started to pick up some of Thomas' bags.

"Don't have to tell me twice kid," Johnny said as he quickly scurried away to the dining hall.

"That was awfully nice of you," Thomas said in a sarcastic tone.

"Nigga please," Donovan smirked, "Only reason I did that was 'cause we got two bitches in our room right now trying to get some day one dick and we don't need your moms and them fucking that up,"
    Last edited by Soapy; 04-16-2016 at 5:04 AM.

My last, perhaps futile attempt, at an RTG-type dynasty. In previous attempts, I tried to follow the model that some greats (cough) @Caesar (cough) have done where they kind of drag it out and really go in depth into the story, sort of a week by week and sometimes day by day approach. For me, this approach doesn't work because once I have my ending, I kind of want to rush to get there and I eventually get bored with it. So this time, it's going to be more streamlined and the 'RTG style' will just provided backstory before we go into a more traditional dynasty report with stats, stories and report.

Follow me on this journey, my brothers.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    respect.

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Baze For This Useful Post:

Stand On Guard For Thee Captain Canada's Avatar

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    You KNOW we here

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Canada For This Useful Post:

Thomas pounded his chest as he once again went into an athletic stance with his outstretched arms seemingly spanning from one side of the court to the other. Trey slowly dribbled the ball between his legs as he came up the court, gradually picking up his pace. Thomas hastily shuffled his feet to match his every moments, keeping Trey in front of him without using his hands. Damion tried everything: in and out dribbles followed by hesitation moves followed by crossovers, each more becoming more and more desperate before coach Johnson blew his whistle to signify the end of the drill.

A smirk crept up on Thomas' face as he overheard Trey muttering a few choice words to himself. Thomas was in his zone. It is commonly referenced by shooters and great offensive players that they something get into a 'zone' where they feel like everything they put up, it's going in. It's often described as seeing just the basket and the open space on the court, nothing else seems to matter. For Thomas, he was that way on the defensive end when he got into his 'zone'. Everything slowed down and it was almost as if he knew what his man was going to do beforehand and there was just no way that you were going to get a quality shot up, yet alone score.

His love for the defensive side of basketball came out of sheer necessity. Thomas was tired of just playing imaginary one-on-one games by himself in the backyard and convinced Johnny to take him to the park with him and the only way they'd pick him on their team was if he could stick his man. Thomas learned to play basketball on the fly against peers sometimes five or six years older than him. They'd post him and just dominate him down low, drawing cheers and laughs from their friends as he was bullied all over the court. But he kept coming back; day after day, month after month and soon enough his growth spurt came. He was no longer the bullied but the bully, exerting his will onto others.

"Great job out there Shelby," coach Willard said as he walked past the hunched over freshman, "We need to get your ass in shape though,"

"Yes sir," Thomas groaned as he gulped down some more water, "I'll be ready though,"

Coach Willard couldn't help but chuckled before refocusing his attention to the drills.

"You need to get more up on him," Damion told him as the senior guard placed his hands on Thomas' shoulder, "They'll pull up on you if you give them that much space, not everybody is trying to drive at this level. They will drain a three on your ass,"

"Yeah sure," Thomas dismissed his advice, "I'm sure they did that all the time on you at Drexel,"

"Okay big guy," Damion chuckled, "I guess whatever fucking league y'all go up there in Boston got all the ballers, huh?"

"Line up then," Thomas scoffed.

"Bet," Damion laughed as they made their way to the line for the drills.

"Lee and Shelby? Oh, I like this!" yelled one of the players as the two faced off against each other.

Purposely ignoring Damion's advice, Thomas lined up about two feet beyond the three point line and instead used his incredibly wingspan to apply pressure on Damion by placing his hand in Damion's face. Similarly to Trey, Damion slowly started his dribble before picking up the pace with a series of behind the back dribbles and size up moves. Damion took a jab step inside before pulling back, drawing Thomas to lunge himself in an attempt to block the shot. Without picking up his dribble, Damian hesitated at the top of the key as if he was going to shoot the ball before taking a hard dribble towards the basket, leaving Thomas unbalanced with all of his momentum heading towards the three point line. Thomas quickly gathered himself and chased Damion down for the huge chase down block. Just as the entire team cheered the block, Thomas came down awkwardly and instantly fell to the ground.

"Fuck!" Thomas yelled, clutching his ankles.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to djp73 For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    the effort you put into this is more than the effort you put into that you know what that i eventually did.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Baze For This Useful Post:

Quote Originally Posted by BazeGOAT View Post
    the effort you put into this is more than the effort you put into that you know what that i eventually did.
    wat

13. The Following User Says Thank You to djp73 For This Useful Post:

Started a media page here. This will serve as some sort of hub and if you check it out, it's pretty self explanatory. Also, when this 'chise turns into a more traditional game report, the game reports will be over there. Enjoy

"Good play out there last night Damion," Thomas overheard coach Pitino talking to the senior guard, "We didn't get it done this time but you keep playing like that and it's going to be a whole different season,"

Thomas shook his head as he gingerly walked out of the locker room and into the trainers room. His supposed minor ankle injury caused him to miss the first month of the season, including the headliner against no. 3 Michigan State. To make matters worse, he was stuck on the bench watching Damion having the season of his life, dropping 23 points in the loss to Michigan State.

The initial time frame for the high ankle sprain was just six weeks but now nearly two months since he the injury, Thomas was still stuck on the bench. He had regained his agility and explosiveness but was unable to get cleared due to the constant pain in his ankle every time he jumped.

"If it isn't my favorite patient," Jessica said as she slapped the table to signal Thomas to take a seat , "How was it today?"

"Same old bullshit," Thomas sighed, "I'm good for the first fifteen minutes and after that, it gives out on me."

"Okay."

"It's just too much pain after a while and I basically can't explode off of it,"

"It sucks being sidelined," Jessica replied as she started to take off the athletic tape on his right ankle, "I fractured my wrist my sophomore season and missed the entire season so I know how you feel. Listen, I'll clear you for the Grand Canyon game but at the end of the day, it's going to be up to you to be honest with me and let me know when it's hurting. I know you want to be back out there but you also have to protect yourself and you're no good to anyone with a banged up ankle for the rest of the season."

Thomas let the run water slowly run off his face as he leaned on the sink and stared aimlessly at his reflection. He took a deep breathe and closed his eyes before a cold hand touched his shoulder.

"You really went crazy last night," the scantily clad co-ed said as she turned on the shower and sat on the edge of the tub, letting the water run.

"I guess you could say that," Thomas smirked as he placed his hands on her inner thigh.

"Not that," Alexis scoffed, "You really were drinking a lot, I'm surprised you didn't pass out."

"Didn't even realized it," he shrugged.

"Must have been fun to finally be playing right?"

"Yeah," Thomas replied as he left the bathroom and bent over to pick up his shirt, which resulted in him flexing his ankle and drawing a groan out of him

"Are you oka...." she started to turn off the water but Thomas quickly interrupted her.

"I'm good," Thomas replied, "Just my fucking ankle,"

"It still hurts, huh?"

"Yeah," Thomas sighed as he took a seat on the edge of the bed, "I guess the adrenaline is gone and it's flaring up again,"

"Did they give you pain killers?" Alexis asked as she sat next to Thomas.

"They can't," he scoffed, "Something against the rules or something, I don't fucking know."

"I have a couple pills left from when I broke my arm this summer," she pulled out a pill bottle that was about 1/3 still filled up, "I don't like taking pills so I only used like half of them,"

"What are they?" Thomas grabbed one of them.

"Demerol," she replied, "They're a lot safer than vicodin or perc. I mean, they did the job for me."

Thomas shrugged as he tossed one into the back of his mouth.