4 57.14%
  • Wait for rosters.

3 42.86%
Page 2 of 81 FirstFirst 12341252 ... LastLast

Thread: And Then I'll Rise and Fight Again | Miami Hurricanes Football Dynasty

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    You may now post

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    You ain't using 10 posts, just trying to get your post count up.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Josh For This Useful Post:

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo

following, of course. Excited to see what you can do with a team you're really into
    Last edited by djp73; 01-09-2016 at 7:04 AM.

5. The Following User Says Thank You to djp73 For This Useful Post:

miami

miami

Miami DB Artie Burns going pro, skipping senior season
    Associated Press

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Artie Burns has a son to support, and also now is the caretaker for his two younger siblings after the unexpected death of his mother earlier this season.

And with that, the Miami defensive back realized it was time to go pro.

Burns is skipping what would have been his senior season with the Hurricanes and entering the NFL draft, a decision that was long expected and became final on Monday. He had a breakout year with six interceptions, the most recorded by any Miami player since Sean Taylor had 10 in 2003.

"Due to my mom's sudden passing and my father being incarcerated, I now have custody of my two younger brothers and my son to raise," Burns said in a statement distributed through the school. "It is my responsibility to be the financial supporter my family needs to continue our day to day lives."

Burns said the decision was "extremely difficult" to make.

He thanked former Miami coach Al Golden in his statement, along with new Miami coach Mark Richt, the university community, the Hurricanes' coaching staff, his teammates and fans.

Burns also said he plans to return to Miami to finish his degree. Miami has a longstanding policy of allowing people who were on athletic scholarships and elect to leave early for professional reasons return and complete their studies.

"I can't put into words what these past three years have meant to me in my development as a football player, but even more importantly as a man," Burns said. "It is only right to acknowledge that fact and I thank you all."

Last edited by Soapy; 01-09-2016 at 2:27 PM.

Uh, hello?

8. The Following User Says Thank You to djp73 For This Useful Post:

miami

miami

Miami Hurricanes hire Manny Diaz as DC
    Associated Press

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- Miami coach Mark Richt hired Manny Diaz to be the Hurricanes' new defensive coordinator on Saturday, moving closer to completing his lineup of assistant coaches.

Diaz is a Miami native, the son of the city's former mayor and spent this past season at Mississippi State.

"I'm very excited about Manny Diaz becoming our defensive coordinator," Richt said. "I've known him for over 20 years and I've watched him become one of the best defensive minds in the business."

Richt said Diaz will lead a 4-3 scheme. Diaz was a graduate assistant at Florida State and North Carolina State, eventually became a position coach for the Wolfpack and has been defensive coordinator at Middle Tennessee State, Texas, Louisiana Tech and Mississippi State.

"We knew it would take a very unique opportunity for us to consider leaving," Diaz said. "God blessed me with a chance to return home, to coach in my hometown and to reunite with family. It is the kind of opportunity that comes along rarely in this business. It was simply too good to pass up."

Richt still has some staff slots to fill, with an eye on finalizing those moves by the time the current dead period for recruiting ends in mid-January.

"We're very close," Richt said.

Richt declined to reveal if any decisions have been made regarding the status of offensive coordinator James Coley and now-former interim head coach Larry Scott, both of whom have expressed a desire to remain with the Hurricanes.

And one of Richt's moves has met with less-than-unanimous approval, that being the decision to replace longtime strength coach Andreu Swasey.

Former Hurricanes, including San Diego Chargers linebacker Denzel Perryman, and former Hurricanes player and assistant coach Micheal Barrow both took to Twitter in recent days to express their disappointment with the Swasey move. Swasey was part of 14 bowl trips with Miami and has long been one of the team's most popular coaches.

Richt, who had been the coach at Georgia for the past 15 seasons, said the decision on Swasey was "very difficult."

"He's a very good coach, very well respected and I respect him as well," Richt said. "But sometimes when there's transition there's people that you have a comfort level with, that you know what you're getting.

"And there's more than one way to skin a cat. I have a lot of respect for coach and what he's done for this university, but I do feel comfortable that we're bringing in some outstanding people who will get the job done."

Richt was hired to replace Al Golden, who was fired midway through his fifth season. Richt graduated from Miami in 1982, having been a backup quarterback for the Hurricanes under Howard Schnellenberger.

He said he wasn't worried about juggling the responsibilities of filling a staff while trying to lock up his first Miami recruiting class.

"If you've got coordinators and kind of covered the gamut, you don't necessarily have to have everybody by the time we go on the road again," Richt said. "That's my goal, but I want to be comfortable and have peace that I'm doing the right thing."

Richt previously revealed the hirings of four coaches -- running backs coach Thomas Brown, defensive line coach Craig Kuligowski, special teams coordinator Todd Hartley and offensive assistant Jon Richt, the coach's son.

Brown will also have the title of co-offensive coordinator, with Mark Richt widely expected to also share in that role.
    Last edited by Soapy; 01-17-2016 at 7:23 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    family values.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Baze For This Useful Post:

13. The Following User Says Thank You to djp73 For This Useful Post:

miami

miami

Late additions boost Miami Hurricanes on National Signing Day despite key defections
    The Miami Herald

CORAL GABLES, Fla. -- New University of Miami football coach Mark Richt had a bit more than three weeks in NCAA-designated recruiting time — including three weekends for official visits to Coral Gables — to scour the country for the young men who would make up his first signing class.

The former Hurricanes quarterback, dismissed by Georgia in November after an illustrious, 15-year tenure with the Bulldogs, made every minute count. And although he still couldn’t prevent the late defections of two players to Tennessee, he got a heralded wide receiver as his last signee Wednesday afternoon, a four-star safety Tuesday night and a badly needed defensive tackle and offensive tackle Monday.

He also got UM’s future quarterback and three strong linebackers already enrolled.

Late Tuesday night, Naples High four-star cornerback Tyler Byrd switched his allegiance to Tennessee. And Wednesday, on National Signing Day, receiver Latrell Williams of Lake City Columbia — his ratings varied depending on the service — also defected to Tennessee.

Enter four-star Wellington receiver Ahmmon Richards to the rescue. The Canes were gifted with a huge signing Wednesday by Richards, who chose Miami over Alabama, Auburn and Tennessee. Richards, a U.S. Army All-American, was a Canes commit until former coach Al Golden was fired. He had 73 catches for 1,278 yards and 14 touchdowns and is rated the nation’s 28th-best receiver by 247Sports.

“Very, very smooth athlete,’’ Richt said. “It looks effortless because of his athleticism.”

Richards was one of three talented Palm Beach County signees. “Great football,” Richt said of Palm Beach County, adding that the county just north of Broward “is also near and dear to me because I was a Boca High Bobcat.”

UM also signed three players from Miami-Dade and three from Broward. Sixteen of the 18 players who signed are from Florida.

The class was ranked 21st by Rivals, 20th by 247 and 19th by ESPN -- all better than last year’s final rankings.

In their favor, the Canes picked up highly-rated Niceville safety Romeo Finley, who committed Tuesday night and signed Wednesday. Finley chose Miami over Clemson and Georgia Tech and is the nation’s 12th-best safety according to ESPN.com.

“What I love about Romeo is his aggressiveness,” UM safeties coach Ephraim Banda said in a UM tweet. “He seeks contact on every play.”

Additionally, Miami signed its only offensive tackle, 6-7, 280-pound Tre Johnson of Orlando First Academy, and its only defensive tackle, 6-3, 265-pound Lanett (Alabama) Valley High’s Tyreic Martin. Both chose UM on Monday.

“Recruiting is a relationship game, so to speak,” Richt said Wednesday. “It’s very common across the country that guys get flipped one way or another. It’s a very emotional time for a lot of families. By the end they’re pretty frazzled. Everybody is getting worn down at the end because it is such a grind.

“Historically I’ve been the type of coach that doesn’t want to twist anybody’s arm or coerce a guy into committing. Most of the times when you do that it’s not that solid. I want guys to really be sure of what they want to do.”

The recruiting prowess of former UM interim coach Larry Scott, now tight ends coach at Tennessee, did not help the Canes’ cause, as they badly need cornerbacks with the departure of Artie Burns and Tracy Howard, and receivers with the departure of Rashawn Scott and Herb Waters.

But the Canes did nab Coconut Creek cornerback Malek Young, a U.S. Army All-American and former Georgia commit who said he really liked the new coaching staff.

And their new safeties Wednesday include Gulliver Prep’s Cedrick Wright, rated the 38th-best safety in the nation by 247Sports, and Orlando Olympic High’s Jeff James, the 6-1, 185-pound nephew of Canes great running back Edgerrin James.

“Miami, it’s all about legacy,’’ Jeff James told Rivals.com, which gave him a two-star rating. “I love the coaching staff. It’s going to be a big change there.”

UM is a program that welcomes players related to former stars, such as new tight end Michael Irvin II, son of Pro Football Hall of Famer and Canes legend Michael Irvin; and receiver Sam Bruce, nephew of former NFL great Isaac Bruce. Both hail from Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas. This year’s new crop also includes early enrollee defensive end Pat Bethel, an Under Armour All-American whose father Randy played tight end at UM from 1987-90.

“I’m excited for Sam Bruce, what he brings, the intangibles, the skill-set that he has,” UM receivers coach Ron Dugans told Canes’ broadcasters Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey Jr. Dugans smiled when mentioning the nickname the speedy, confident teenager has tweeted before: “Samborghini” — as in Lamborghini. “It is about the swagger,” Dugans said. “It is about the pride. It is about commitment.”

Recruiting analyst Charles Fishbein of Elite Scouting Services told the Miami Herald that Bruce, the ninth-rated receiver by Rivals and ESPN and No. 6 receiver by 247, reminded him of former Cane Santana Moss — a threat in the return game as well as receiving game.

“Miami needs to inject what Sam Bruce has into its program,’’ Fishbein said. “He’s a guy who won’t accept losing.’’

Added Richt of Bruce: “Very explosive, very well put together, very strong.”

Five other impact players, if not now then in the future, are the ones already enrolled in classes. Three of them — U.S. Army All-American Shaquille Quarterman, Zach McCloud and Michael Pinckney — are outstanding linebackers, a position at which the Canes sorely need depth and talent.

The other early enrollee ready for spring practice is 6-5, 200-pound future quarterback Jack Allison, an Under Armour All-American out of Palmetto High.

Stand On Guard For Thee Captain Canada's Avatar

Miami

16. The Following User Says Thank You to Captain Canada For This Useful Post: