Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Daniel Powell - The Long Road Home

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    “Yo Casper! Casper! Over here man!” LT yelled across the courtyard as he spotted Casper coming around the corner.

Casper jogged over and bumped fists with LT before pulling him in for a quick pat on the shoulder.

“What's up big man?” Casper asked, looking around the courtyard. He'd never done a meet here before so he was a little on edge.

“Relax man, we good here. These my people.” LT said with a smile as he waved his hand around in a circular motion.

“I'm good, I'm good man.” Casper replied with a nod.

“Good. So how much we move?” LT asked as he led Casper to a small table and chairs on a nearby porch.

The pair sat down and talked business for an hour or so before Casper's phone started ringing. He picked it up and looked at the screen. He sent the call to voice mail and stuffed the phone in his pocket.

“Sorry 'bout that man.” He apologized, recalling LT's dislike for cell phones.

“No worries cuz.” LT waved the incident off.

“So... like I was saying...” Casper said, trying to get the conversation back on track.

“You've got a unique situation for sure. We ain't never dealt with nothin' like this before obviously. I think we're good but I need a minute. I'll hit you up soon.”

“Thanks.” Casper felt his phone vibrate in his pocket and lost his train of thought for a moment.

“Thanks for understanding.” He said as he stood up and embraced LT.

As Casper walked away from the meeting he felt a huge weight lifted from his shoulders. No more secret meetings. No more looking over his shoulder all the time. No more waiting for the other shoe to drop. No more Casper. A smile came over his face and for the first time in a few years he felt like things were going to work out.

As he climbed into his ratty 92 Accord he remembered the phone calls. He checked his voice mail as he pulled out of the parking lot out onto the road.
    Last edited by djp73; 10-15-2015 at 1:32 PM.

I was pretty nervous as I headed into the office. To get a request for a meeting from the head coach was bad enough. This was coach and the AD. No scenario I ran through my head turned out good. I took a deep breath and entered the room.

Coach Levine motioned toward a chair and I took a seat.

Mr. Matlin sat across from me and fiddled with his watch, obviously stalling. He sighed deeply and spoke.

"Daniel. I'm not sure how exactly to say this, I've never had to do this before. I think it's best I get right to the point."

I felt a lump in my throat as I started to realize what was coming.

"Due to your recent legal troubles, the board feels like you have not met the expectations this university has of their scholarship student athletes."

I definitely knew what was coming now. Coach Levine stared at the floor.

"We have no choice but to withdraw your scholarship and dismiss you from the university."

Part of me felt like protesting. I had been cleared by the Houston Police. What right did the university have to dismiss me if I was innocent?

"I understand." I said, almost surprising myself. "I'm sorry for any trouble I have caused this university."

After the words had left my mouth I stood up and left the room, not sure where I was going. I had surprised myself with how well I handled the situation. I headed back to my dorm to start packing.

---

I awoke to the sound of my phone blowing up. I picked it up and waited for the screen to come into focus.

"Holy shit!" I said out loud when I saw the number of notifications.

Apparently word had gotten out. I sat up and looked around the room, making sure everything I cared about was packed. After I was satisfied with my packing job I grabbed my last bag and headed for the door. Before I stepped out I took one last look around, reflecting on all that had happened.

I slammed the door and headed for the parking lot.

"Yo Omar. Where the fuck he at? Omar!"

Omar popped his head out from the back room and looked around.

"What you want man I'm busy back here?"

"You with that ho Shay again?"

"Fuck you!" A female voice shouted from behind the curtain.

"Yo Omar what happen with the five-oh the other day?"

"Yo them cats tried to get me to sell out."

"Word?"

"Yeah. I ain't though. Told 'em it was that motherfucker Powell."

"Damn you still mad he fucked your girl?"

Omar motioned to be quiet as he nodded toward Shay.

"My bad."

"Hell yeah I'm still mad. That was some grade a ass he took."

"You think they bought it?"

"I dunno man I saw some shit about he got kicked out of school. Ain't heard shit else."

"That's cold man. You a cold ass motherfucker." He said as he dapped up Omar.

"Damn straight. Don't fuck with Omar." Omar said as he pounded his chest and smiled.

The rest of the crew laughed and Omar returned to Shay.

---

"Yo O I heard you talkin' 'bout you told the cops Daniel Powell was in the game?" Shay asked, much to Omar's surprise.

"How you even know that fool?"

"I don't know him I just heard of him."

"Fuck him."

"What he do to you?"

Omar didn't answer, trying to think of a lie.

"Nothin'. Just messed with some guys I know from around the way."

"So what that got to do with you trying to set him up?"

"Them dudes is like family, he shouldn't of done them dirty."

"I heard he got kicked out of school."

"So?"

"Just seems that shit ain't right. Seems he was getting out the hood."

"Fuck him. Stop talking 'bout it."

Shay knew when not to push Omar's buttons so she dropped it. She definitely didn't buy his explanation on the matter.
    Last edited by djp73; 10-15-2015 at 1:34 PM.

I snapped out of a deep sleep to the tune of my phone ringing. I opened my eyes and stared at the ceiling for a second before I figured out what the nose was. I reached for it on my end table and picked it up.

"Who that fuck is that?" I asked out loud, trying to identify the number. I thought about ignoring it but at the last second I decided to answer.

"Hello?"

"Is this Daniel Powell?"

"Who's asking?" I asked sternly.

"Sorry. This is Chris Klieman. I'm the head football coach at North Dakota State."

"OK?" I asked, fully confused at this point.

"How would you like to be my quarterback?"

"Uhh..."

"I know this is out of the blue. Here's the deal. I heard about your story and I need a quarterback. I know we're not Houston but..."

"Where'd you say again?"

"North Dakota State."

I didn't say anything, trying to think back to my high school geography classes.

"Anyway..." he continued. "We have a very good team this year and I think we're a QB away from being serious contenders."

"So why do you want me?"

"I saw what you did last year. Like I said I heard what happened and I know you want to play now."

He was right. I had a number of offers to bigger schools but I would have to sit a year to transfer to any of them. Playing right away had a nice ring to it.

"Yeah, I do."

"Here's your chance. Full scholarship. No catch. We want you to be our quarterback."

"Well..." I was trying to think of a reason to say no.

"I know this is out of the blue. I don't need an answer right now. Call me back by Mon..."

"Fuck it. I'm in."

"Yeah?!" He said, failing to hide his excitement.

"Yeah. Let's do it."
    Last edited by djp73; 10-15-2015 at 1:35 PM.

"God damn!" I exclaimed after Siri told me Fargo was over 1,300 miles away.

I looked out the window at my car in the parking lot.
    "Looks like we're going to be spending some quality time together. Don't let me down."

Despite the fact that I had been home for almost two weeks I was still mostly packed. I grabbed the clothes and few other things I had unpacked and stuffed them in a garbage bag. I took one last look around and noticed the picture of me and my parents after my first Pop Warner game. Picking it up and looking at it closer choked me up a bit as the memories came flooding back.
    I tossed it in the bag and walked out.

---

My first stop was the Fiesta Mart for supplies for the road. Five Red Bulls, two gallons of water, and four bags of sour cream and onion chips. I might be sick by the time I get there but I'm working on a budget. Gotta have gas money. I paid and tossed my rations in the passengers seat and saddled up. I stared at the GPS on my phone.

"No turning back now."

---

The trip was mostly uneventful. By that I mean boring as hell. The only parts that could be considered anything but boring were my detours to Bill Snyder Stadium and Memorial Stadium. They weren't far out of my way and I figured it would be cool to see them. It was.

---

When I finally got to Fargo I had instructions to head to the stadium, the Fargodome. I drove up to it and it took me by surprise. I was expecting something smaller than some of the places I played in high school.

"Not too bad." I said to myself. Just then a couple guys approached.

"Daniel Powell?"

"Yeah."

"Coach Klieman, great to finally meet you!" He said excitedly as he extended his hand.

"Nice to meet you too sir." I replied as I shook his hand.

"This is Kyle Emanuel, one of our linebackers."

We nodded and shook hands.

"And this is Randy Hedberg, out quarterback's coach."

"Nice to meet you sir."

"Let's go in!" Coach Klieman exclaimed as he pointed to the stadium.

Once we got inside he motioned toward one of the booths and the sound system came alive.

"AND YOUR STARTING QUARTERBACK, FROM HOUSTON, TEXAS, NUMBER SIXTEEN DANIEL POWELL!"

After the announcement the simulated crowd noise was deafening.

"One hundred and eleven decibels!!" Klieman shouted. "One of the loudest stadiums in all of football!!"

I have to admit it gave me chills. I was ready to strap on the pads and go.
    Last edited by djp73; 10-15-2015 at 1:35 PM.

Let's get to work

7. The Following User Says Thank You to ChosenOne58 For This Useful Post:

Updates in the works, thanks again for the posts.

NCAA FCS Second Round
    Sat. 12/6/2014
    vs. South Dakota State
    Fargo, N.D.

---

"So with that we'll head to the fourth quarter tied up at 17 a piece."

---

"Keller connects on the 29 yard field goal to put the Bison on top 20-17. That caps a ten play drive that covered just over four and a half minutes. Just under eight minutes to play as North Dakota State lines up to kick back to South Dakota State."

---

"Sumner back in the shotgun. He takes the snap and rolls to his right and fires to Wieneke in the back of the endzone for the go ahead score with just a it over three minutes to play. Syrovatka's kick makes it 24-20. Looks like it will be up to Powell and the rest of the Bisons offense to put this one away."

---

"And we're back in Fargo. North Dakota State set to take over on their own 24 yard line with three minutes and twelve seconds to play. Powell in the pistol. Read option with Crockett and he carries over right tackle for a gain of five yards."

---

"After the incompletion it's third and five at the Bison's 29. Powell on the bootleg and he hits Urzendowski for a gain of eight out to the 37. First down."

---

"Crockett dragged down after a gain of six."

---

"Second and four from the Bison's 43. Powell in the shotgun and it's a quick screen. Gain of seven right to the fifty yard line and that's another first down for North Dakota State."

---

"Coming out of the South Dakota State timeout it's first down at the fifty for North Dakota State. We've got just under ninety seconds left. Here's Powell in the shotgun, pocket breaking down around him and he steps into a throw down the sideline to Trevor Gebhart who hauls it in at the 22 yard line, slips out of a tackle and is puched out of bounds at the twelve yard line."

---

"Exactly a minute on the clock now as Powell lines up under center. Looks like he's changing the play here. Powell takes the snap and drops back. Heavy pressure from the backside. He ducks under a tackler and steps to his right. Fires into the middle of the endzone and it's a touchdown Bison! RJ Urzendowski, the true freshman, with his second touchdown reception of the day on a beautiful pass from Powell. Keller's point after is good and with 54 seconds left North Dakota State is up 27-24."

---

"Intercepted! Tre Dempsey picks off the Sumner pass and takes a knee and that will do it here in Fargo. 27-24 Bison in a thriller."
    Last edited by djp73; 10-14-2015 at 1:07 PM.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Need to catch up, just letting you know you have a follower in me.

[Today 6:58 PM] CountdowNxx : if you think a bunch of overrated thugs running through smoke is better than Osceola planting the burning spear at midfield then I don't know what to say to you
    [Today 11:27 PM] BazeGOAT : I'm gonna enjoy watching the Patriots lose some time in the next month.

El Duque by BazeGOAT

sig

#LetMileyTwerk #enterjameisjoke

11. The Following User Says Thank You to Soapy For This Useful Post:

Thanks man, would definitely appreciate the feedback.