Page 1 of 29 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: The Video Road to the Show Diary of Bryan Hurst

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

The Video Road to the Show Diary of Bryan Hurst

I've decided to post my Road to the Show career here at Simulation Sports.

I've been doing this dynasty on and off since it began with MLB 09: The Show. I played only seasons across MLB 09 and MLB 10. I'm going to pick up this dynasty here in my fourth season using MLB 14: The Show.

I'll start with a brief recap of my stats and ratings. My career has been mired by injuries -- take a look

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    It hasn't been pretty:

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo

One of the problems with all these injuries and missed time is that my ratings aren't going up too much because I'm not playing. I guess it would be a good idea to get that durability rating higher.

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    What that brief introduction we'll pick up this dynasty at the start of my fourth season.

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    January 2

"Bryan, it's time for a change."

I may only be 21 years old but I'm old enough to know that's a phrase I don't want to hear.

"Time for a change" is the explanation a woman lies to a man before she leaves him.

"Time for a change" are the words your doctor tells you before he reveals your poor test results.

"Time for a change" is the catch phrase your boss tries to relax you with as he fires you.

When that phrase was spoken by Dave Dombrowski, the Detroit Tigers general manager, I just knew the rest of the conversation was going to be bad.

But I wasn't surprised because after four years in the Tigers organization I was going no where fast. A torn groin muscle ended my last season in July. It wasn't like I was a top prospect before my season ended in the hospital. The only thing I showed that I could do was strikeout nearly once per game.

"I'll be honest with you. We just don't feel you have the skills to make it as a Major League outfielder. You have the potential to be a decent contact hitter but we haven't seen enough power," Dombrowski said.

Why had he traveled all the way to my home in Canada to tell me my career was over? Couldn't he have done this over the phone, or through my agent? I didn't want to cry in front of him. You've heard of the phrase: "There is no crying in baseball." It was just another baseball rule I was about to break.

"So what we have decided to do is to try you full-time at shortstop. Your going to go to the Instruction League and start the season in Double A at Erie," said Dombrowski.

"Shortstop," I mumbled.

"We saw you play a few games there and we liked your lateral movement. We think you would have an easier road to the Majors there -- possibly as a late inning defensive replacement -- if you work hard on your game," said Dombrowski.

"I don't know what to say, Mr. Dombrowski. I'm kind of shocked," I said. I should have been happy to have a job but the first thing that went through my mind was that I was being demoted from Toledo down to Erie.

"Don't say anything, Hurst. Just report right away to the Instructional League in Florida. Spring training is just around the corner," said Dombrowski, heading for the door.

"One other thing," he paused as he put on his gloves.

"What's that?" I asked.

"Don't get hurt!" he yelled as he exited.

Stocking the shelves at Walmart could wait another month. I was still playing professional ball.

And with that, we come to a new chapter in the Road to the Show career of Bryan Hurst.

With the ability now to carry on RTTS on a yearly basis with each new edition of The Show, it's time to jump ahead to MLB 14.

I've bought some stubs and have recreated my player in MLB 14. He played as an 18-year old in MLB 09, two seasons in MLB 10 and now this will be his fourth season. He will enter MLB 14 as 21-year old for continuity sake. I'll try to give him the same ratings and appearance he ended his third season by using stubs to increase his ratings to his final ratings in MLB 10.

Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo Sports Logo
    He looks so much now mature and serious this year.

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Quote Originally Posted by jct32(FAM) View Post
    He looks so much now mature and serious this year.
    I think it's the eyebrows.

He does look like a child lost in that first picture.

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    I created Bryan Hurst in MLB 14 but my dude started with higher ratings in some categories than he ended his MLB 10 career. The numbers in blue in the chart were the default ratings when I created him in MLB 14. I can't lower them so we're stuck with them. Are we all cool with that? LOL

I used stubs to boost the ratings in the other categories to equal the ratings from the previous year. For example, the MLB 14 Bryan Hurst had a starting contact vs left rating of like 44. I used the stubs to boost it to 62, his rating at the end of the 2011 season.

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo
    Fourth Season

Erie (AA) -- April 3, 2014

Superstar

Sports Logo Sports Logo